Saturday, October 29, 2011

PRAISES AND PRAYER





Yesterday I finished this little painting of a song bird resting on a flower. It was so much fun to paint. I put compound paste on the canvas and carved into it and then after it dried I painted it not with a brush, but with my hands. Stained fingers today, but oh so much fun.

I woke up in the night, which is not an unusual thing, and a couple of songs were going through my head.

From the Carpenters

Sing, sing a song
Sing out loud
Sing out strong
Sing of good things, not bad
Sing of happy, not sad.

Sing, sing a song
Make it simple
To last your whole life long
Don't worry that it's not good enough
for anyone else to hear
Just sing, sing a song.

Sing, sing a song
Let the world sing along
Sing of love there could be
Sing for you and for me.

Sing, sing a song
Make it simple
To last your whole life long
Don't worry that it's not good enough
for anyone else to hear
Just sing, sing a song.

and then this one


Praise Him, praise Him, all ye little children,
God is love, God is love;
Praise Him, praise Him, all ye little children,
God is love, God is love.

Love Him, love Him, all ye little children,
God is love, God is love;
Love Him, love Him, all ye little children,
God is love, God is love.

Thank Him, thank Him, all ye little children,
God is love, God is love;
Thank Him, thank Him, all ye little children,
God is love, God is love.

I have so much to be thankful for this fall. After a sabbatical to the beach, resting and remembering God's faithfulness, I want to share a few things I am praising Him for and singing about.

Bob's CT scan came back NORMAL! Praise Him. Praise Him, all ye little children.
WE were not expecting any bad news, but as I have said before, we want to praise Him in the good times and the bad. We celebrated by walking down to the lake and taking Brett fishing.

Thank you, Lord, that if it is your will, Bob has lots of fishing trips with Brett in his future.


A few weeks ago I was blessed to be able to have lunch with two dear friends and mentors, Judy Kenobbie and Linda Dennis. It was a dear memory for me. I have asked you before to pray for my sweet friend,Judy . She has kidney cancer. She is living in Crosslake, Minnesota now and I do not get to see her very often. She was in Newnan for a short visit.

As usual, when you talk to Judy, she does not want to talk about the fact that her cancer has progressed and she is no longer receiving those awful treatments because they were not able to stop that cancer from spreading. She just wants to praise the Lord and tell you the wonderful things He has been doing in her life. Lots of visits from family and friends, wonderful sights she has seen when she was feeling like taking little trips outside in God's glorious creation, and many stories about how God has provided over the years for her. Her husband is suffering with Parkinson's and she just wants you to pray for him.

Judy is an example of keeping your focus on Jesus. He is her strength and source of joy. She is my hero of the faith this month. What a mentor! I am so thankful the Lord put her in my life five years ago when we moved to Newnan. She and I have been able to be in several Bible studies together, had several fun girl trips and lots of laughter. The deep, belly laughs that make you cry you are laughing so hard.

She is very short of breath and coughs a lot lately. Talking is hard on some days. I am so grateful for all the memories we have made sharing our "God stories." She always has a story...."Oh, God is so good. Let me tell you what He did." When we talk, she always gives has a story to share.

Thank you, Lord, for giving me such an amazing mentor. Continue to give her songs of praise to share with us all. Give her breath to belt them out like the little song bird I painted in her honor.

Thank you for giving my husband a normal CT scan. It is not normal to us. It is your good gift of mercy and grace. Thank you for giving us time to praise you on earth and make lots of memories with our precious grandchildren.


Unlike the Carpenter song, I am thankful You want us to sing about happy and sad. You created us to praise YOU. So, on this glorious fall day, I close singing,

Praise Him, Praise Him,
praise Him Katie Purcell,
God is love, God is love.
Love Him, Thank Him, Serve Him......all the verses!!!!

Sing, Sing your song!

2 comments:

  1. i love you
    and I love your faith
    Hugs from here tonight
    Katie G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this post, just did my heart and spirit good, you cannot imagine. Praise God for the CT scan and for grandkids...are we blessed or what?

    ReplyDelete